Venue (City): Arequipa, Peru
Arequipa, founded in 1540, is the Peruvian second largest urban area, with a population of about 1.1 million. The city is located 1,000 kilometers southeast of Peru’s capital, Lima, at 2,235 meters above sea level (Arequipa downtown), boasts more industries and shops than any other city in Peru,is the capital of the Arequipa Region and the seat of the Constitutional Court of Peru. Arequipa is next to three volcanoes: the still-active Misti and the extinct Chachani and Pichu Pichu. The weather is sunny year-round, warm during the day and cool at night. The average temperature from January to May is approximately 15 degrees Celsius, with a high around 20 degrees Celsius.
Arequipa is an important center of Peruvian arts and culture. Its downtown area, with buildings made of white volcanic rock blending native and Spanish styles, is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Arequipa’s Main Square (Plaza de Armas) is among Peru’s most beautiful, with an impressive cathedral and colonial arcaded buildings full of restaurants and cafés.
A notable attraction near the square is the 400-year old Santa Catalina Monastery, which is like a city within the city. Not too far from the bustling downtown area, there are quiet neighborhoods where you can take a pleasant stroll. One of these is Yanahuara, with a charming square and excellent view of the city, the mountains, and the surrounding countryside. Another is San Lazaro, with pedestrian streets and winding alleys. San Lazaro is the location of San Pablo Catholic University (UCSP). The UCSP campus lies along the Chili River and has a clear view of the Misti and Chachani volcanoes. All over the city, there are excellent restaurants, where you can sample Arequipa’s cuisine, which occupies a special place in Peru’s world-renowned gastronomy.
- Elevation: 2,335 m (7,661 ft)
- Latitude: 16° 23′ S
- Longitude: 71° 32′ W
- Time Zone: UTC–05:00
- Population: 1,152,303
- Official language: Spanish
- International dialing code: +51 54
Venue (of Conference):
Universidad Católica San Pablo – UCSP (http://ucsp.edu.pe/) is an academic community animated by the guidelines and life way of Catholic Church, that by faith and the reason effort seek the truth and promotes the integral person formation through research, teaching and extension activities, to contribute to shaping the culture in accord of the identity and deployment proper of the human.
UCSP is located about 10 minutes walking from the Historic Center of Arequipa City, and at UCSP we have the following facilities suitable for conferences hold:
- The main auditorium (Auditorio San Juan Pablo II), which capacity is 295 attendees, and supporting sound and video streaming
- Two auditoriums for 110 attendees (PB-08, Room 108). Sound and video streaming can be provided.
- Three classrooms for 106 attendees (PB-10, PB-11, PB-12). Sound and video streaming can be provided.
- Six laboratories for 25 people each (LAB A, B, C, D, E, F), available for mini courses of LA-CCI School.
How to Arrive:
LATAM => 9 direct flights, LIM – AQP and 3 flights via Cusco: LIM – CUZ – AQP
PERUVIAN AIRLINES => 4 direct flights LIM – AQP
AVIANCA => 2 direct flights LIM – AQP
LC Peru => 1 direct flight LIM – AQP
* Road transport: Interoceanic highway (Brazil – Bolivia – Peru), Pan-American Highway
Accommodation (Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts): TBA
Some handy tips:
* If you are planning to go trekking Machu Picchu: Be healthy at 3,330m (by World Nomads)